Suffering From a Work Injury in Eagan?
There is a very popular belief that an injury in the workplace is due to an accident, but in most cases work injuries stem from overuse. Every year, Americans are spending millions of dollars to try and fix the issue of injuries in the workplace. Your Eagan chiropractor has put together this information to help you use chiropractic care in your efforts to find relief from your work injury.
Work Injury in Eagan
In most cases a injury at work will come from a repetitive process that is causing stress to your body. Even sitting at a desk all day with poor posture can inflict pain that has the possibility to last all your life. For those who are doing manual labor, it is common for a lack of form to result in injuries. It is not usually a large accident or disaster that is causing many work injuries but just the habits and repetitive nature of many people's jobs is responsible for back pain and injury.
Here are the nine most common workplace injuries and their causes:
- Overexertion – This is the most common workplace injury and includes injuries related to pulling, lifting, pushing, holding, carrying, and throwing activities at work.
- Falls – Either on same level surfaces (such as falling on wet and slippery office floors) or to a lower level (such as falling from an elevated area like roofs, ladders, or stairways).
- Bodily Reaction – Caused by slipping and tripping without falling.
- Struck by Object – Objects that fall from shelves or dropped by another person can cause very serious injuries.
- Struck Against an Object – Occurs when a person accidentally runs into concrete objects such as walls, doors, cabinets, glass windows, table, chairs, etc.
- Highway Incident – Transportation used for business purposes such as trucks and cars may be involved in an automobile accident.
- Caught In/Compressed By – This type of injury usually occurs in a factory where large and dangerous machinery is used. Exposure to extreme temperatures is also an example of this workplace injury.
- Repetitive Motion – Although this type of injury is less obvious, it is definitely harmful in the long run. Repetitive motions such as typing and using the computer for long periods of time can strain muscles and tendons causing back pain, vision problems, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Assaults and Violent Acts – Attacks caused by office arguments have led to serious physical injuries.
All of these workplace injuries can cause misalignments in the spine which can lead to many issues throughout the entire body.
Workplace Injury Facts
- 26% of all workplace injury cases classified as “fall to a lower level” which resulted in time away from work involved ladders.
- 25,000 slips, trips, and falls occur daily in the US, accounting for 15% of all workplace accidents.
- Back injuries account for one of every five workplace injuries or illnesses.
- One-fourth of all worker compensation claims involve back injuries.
- Up to one-third of back injuries could be prevented through better job design (ergonomics).
What Can I Do to Correct and Avoid Workplace Injuries?
Here are a few things that you can do immediately:
- Do simple exercises, such as stretching, daily.
- Ice spine in area of pain daily.
- Do not lift heavy objects.
- Avoid twisting and bending motions.
- Lift with your knees, not your back.
- Check and fix the ergonomics of your work station.
- Use good posture.
- Change sitting positions often.
- While all these tips will help you reduce pain, the only true, proven way to correct misalignments in your spine is to be checked and adjusted by a chiropractor.
Chiropractic Care For Work Injuries
Our team here at Cornerstone Family Chiropractic has a lot of experience in dealing with injuries from the workplace. We have been successful in a number of cases for both overuse concerns and back pain. Our approach stems around an aligned spine and working on the rest of the body from there. An aligned spine is the start to a healthy body and ensures that your nervous system is performing the best it can. This also allows the body to be more efficient in healing.
Injuries at work are healed best with a proactive treatment plan. Our team is able to create an effective and personalized plan for you following an accurate diagnosis.
If you are in Eagan and struggling with a work injury, please call us we are happy to help. Cornerstone Family Chiropractic is known for providing relief for patients dealing with work injuries and we are dedicated to getting you to optimal health.
2:30pm - 8:30pm
2:30pm - 8:30pm
9:00am - 3:00pm
2:30pm - 8:30pm
9:00am - 3:00pm