Struggling with Scoliosis in Eagan?
Are you suffering from scoliosis in Eagan? In most cases scoliosis comes from a curve in the spine that slowly gets worse as time passes. For an individual to have scoliosis they must have at least a 10 degree curve in the spine but in many cases the angle is greater. Scoliosis is usually accompanied with a lot of pain. But you're in luck! With a proactive treatment plan, chiropractors in Eagan are able to treat and prevent scoliosis.
- Approximately 2% to 3% of Americans have scoliosis at age 16.
- Females are more likely to have scoliosis than men.
- Clues of a person having scoliosis: uneven shoulder blades, a prominent shoulder blade, uneven waist, one hip higher than the other, or leaning to one side.
- Scoliosis occurs most often during the growth spurt just before puberty.
- Severe scoliosis can be disabling.
- If a scoliosis curve worsens, the spine can also rotate or twist, in addition to curving side to side.
Causes of Scoliosis in Eagan
There are many different types of scoliosis that have different causes.
- Congenital scoliosis is caused by a bone abnormality that is present at birth. Neuromuscular scoliosis is a result of abnormal muscles or nerves. This is commonly seen in people with spina bifida or cerebral palsy.
- Degenerative scoliosis may result from traumatic bone collapse from an injury or illness, previous major back surgery, or osteoporosis (thinning of the bones).
- Idiopathic scoliosis is the most common type and has no identifiable cause. There is strong evidence, however, that idiopathic scoliosis is inherited.
What Can I Do to Correct and Avoid Scoliosis?
Here are a few things that you can do immediately:
- Improve your posture: keep shoulders down and back and chin level and back.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects or carrying a heavy purse or backpack.
- Never sleep on your stomach.
- Avoid high heels.
- Do simple exercises, like stretching, on a regular basis.
- Ice your spine daily.
While all these tips will help you reduce pain, the only true, proven way to correct misalignments in your spine is to be checked and adjusted by a chiropractor. Here at Cornerstone Family Chiropractic, we are spine experts and know exactly how to find the misalignments in your spine and the root cause of your scoliosis.
No two people are alike so your individual care plan will address your unique issues and will lead you back to optimal health.
Chiropractic Care For Scoliosis
Despite a lot of research as to why scoliosis happens, there is no exact one reason. Researchers do claim that it is more common in young women. Most of the time scoliosis stems from one vertebrae being in the incorrect place. An imbalance is created as the spine muscles start to favor certain parts of the back. These imbalances and misalignments cause the spine to start to curve. Many teachers are able to spot scoliosis in their students due to the amount of time spent with them and the obvious tilt of a student with scoliosis. Unlike other spinal conditions, scoliosis can not be fixed by simply fixing your posture.
Scoliosis is most common in kids but can still arise in adults. As an adult starts to age, the vertebrae start the degeneration process. If there is a lack of care, the degeneration process can speed up for individuals with osteoporosis. This weakening of discs and vertebrae cause the listed imbalances and misalignments which leads to scoliosis. If the curvature described is not treated the organs can potentially be damaged.
A simple x-ray can be performed by your healthcare professional in order to determine what the best method of treatment should be. Here at Cornerstone Family Chiropractic in Eagan we are educated and experienced in diagnosing scoliosis.
Similar to many other conditions, it is smart to choose the least invasive approach at the beginning. Studies have proven that chiropractic care is successful in treating scoliosis. Our team at Cornerstone Family Chiropractic has been successfully treating patients for a long time. Our staff will start with a thorough examination of your back and overall health in order to try and find why your scoliosis has arose. It has been seen that poor nutrition, an injury, or certain occupations can lead to this condition. After the evaluation, we will create a personalized and effective plan that is designed specifically for you and your healing process. A series of gentle spinal adjustments will be used to help correct your misaligned spine. Most people are able to return back to their favorite activities after treatment.
Do not hesitate to contact us at Cornerstone Family Chiropractic in Eagan with any questions you may have. We are here to help!
2:00pm - 8:30pm
2:00pm - 8:30pm
9:00am - 3:00pm
2:00pm - 8:30pm
9:00am - 3:00pm